FICTION CONTRIBUTING EDITOR
This opening is for a contributing editor position at Barren Magazine. Contributing editors work closely with lead editors and fellow contributing editors to screen and select creative nonfiction submissions for publication.
As Fiction Contributing Editor, we ask that you:
– Meet minimum reading requirements (determined by the Fiction Editor) per submission period (8 weeks) to help ensure fair coverage to all submitters
– Read and recommend stories with Barren’s aesthetic and mission in mind. (Aesthetic: honest, gritty, emotionally resonant. Mission: pro-diversity, and attempts to lift marginalized and underrepresented voices)
– Regulary access the submission spreadsheet to vote on stories and leave comments
– Meet reading deadlines
– Communicate with lead editors about concerns and conflicts
– Passion for strong writing and great stories
– Strong communication skills
– Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Google Docs
– Experience in reading / editing for a literary magazine is preferred, but not required
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the Google Form here.
This is a volunteer position. Candidates must be willing to communicate on a daily basis via email, Slack, and social media.
Barren Magazine is an equal opportunity entity. All volunteers must attest to and abide by our Statement on Safety and Inclusion.