Thank you for your interest in becoming a Creative Nonfiction Contributing Editor for Barren Magazine!
This opening is for a contributing editor position at Barren Magazine. Contributing editors work closely with lead editors and fellow contributing editors to screen and select creative nonfiction submissions for publication.
As Creative Nonfiction Contributing Editor, we ask that you:
– Read at least 50 stories per submission period (8 weeks). You are welcome to read more, but we need you to read at least 50 to ensure fair coverage to all submitters.
– Read and recommend stories with Barren’s aesthetic and mission in mind. (Aesthetic: honest, gritty, emotionally resonant. Mission: pro-diversity, and attempts to lift marginalized and underrepresented voices)
– Regulary access the submission spreadsheet to vote on stories and leave comments
– Meet reading deadlines
– Communicate with lead editors about concerns and conflicts
– Passion for creative nonfiction
– Strong communication skills
– Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Google Docs
– Experience in reading / editing for a literary magazine is preferred, but not required
HOW TO APPLY
Send a Cover Letter, CV (with publishing credits), and the information below to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Your name (as you would like it printed):
Your social media profile links (@_____ handles):
A brief bio (100 words or less; third person):
A profile photo (see our Masthead section for examples):
Your favorite CNF piece in Barren Magazine this year, and why:
What drew you to apply for this position?
Volunteers are not required to promote Barren Magazine on social media, but must take care in being professional and positive when speaking on behalf of the magazine.
This is a volunteer position. Candidates must be willing to communicate on a daily basis via email, Slack, and social media.
Barren Magazine is an equal opportunity entity. All volunteers must attest to and abide by our Statement on Safety and Inclusion.