After the Fire What Remains

After the Fire What Remains

After the Fire What Remains 1920 1618 Jim Ross
10 Comments
  • Beautiful, moody, engrossing and enchanting photos – The composition of each photo and the juxtapositions of this assemblage make for sheer poetry.

• Your eyes and camera tell interesting tales. Thanks!

• I always enjoy your photos so much, Jim. You have a keen eye, and such a gift for capturing the emotion and mood of the moment. The photo of the remains of the burned home really moved me. It looks very much like what our neighbors’ house looked like after a heater malfunctioned. They couldn’t bring themselves to rebuild, and I don’t know if anyone ever has. Thank you for the powerful images that really pull you into the story.

• Very versatile series of photos. Can lead to many different stories. Each or all together.

Dale Hitchcock 08/02/2020 at 9:45 am

Every picture tells a story don’t it. -R. Stewart

Jeffrey Winston Hinton 08/02/2020 at 8:11 pm

These photographs tell a story I was particularly impressed with the composition of “the ballet pose”. The overall composition in this photograph is simple, clean and strong. All the main elements, even down the perpendicular formed in the retaining wall come together and yet standout clearly with little unnecessary clutter. When I look at a photograph I notice that I’m drawn to the center and it’s easy to overlook the edges. Here I see the symmetry both vertically horizontally. The lines of the subjects pose, the bent lines of the rail supports, even the blackstraps of the subjects jumper work very well.

Adrienne C Ricci 08/03/2020 at 3:38 pm

These images are quite poignant, Jim. Each one evokes a deep, sociological story. Than you for sharing and congratulations on their publication.

ABilly & Christopher Jones-Hennin 08/03/2020 at 4:06 pm

Great pictures of sadness and happiness; of emptiness and fullness; of aloneness and togetherness.
    The photos merit revisiting several times. Maybe Jim will publish a photo coffee table book?

Edward Costanza 08/05/2020 at 3:04 pm

Depicted in After the Fire What Remains to me are intriguing and evocative slices of life and still lifes characteristic of Jim Ross’s style of photography. As alluded to here with Dale’s quote (above), there’s a story to be told for each photo. Yet, in the absence of each actual story, the viewer is free to imagine and construct one’s own interpretation – which is much a part of the appeal of the art form…

Peter Johnson 08/08/2020 at 4:58 pm

For me, the photos tell part of the story of life, including the progression from youth–> to old age–> to no one there. Thank you for sharing these.